My Spring Favourites
There's so much to love about each season and those of us in snowy climates and that have four distinct seasons, really look forward to spring in a big way! I know I do for many reasons and a renewed appreciation swings around each year as the snow melts and new growth starts to pop up!
Some of my favourite things about the Spring season are:
- Deciding what I'm going to grow in my front garden bed and in my planters on our front steps of our house. Some years I start from seed and other years I've loved growing anything from Pansies, Geraniums, Sunflowers, Osteospermums, Daisies, Marigolds, Alyssum, Zinnia, Begonias and Dahlias. Have you planted any of these 180 Common types of flowers?
- Repotting our indoor plants as they grow bigger and need to be placed into new pots inside.
- Birds and bird song. Blue Jays, sparrows and chickadees flock to our feeders in record numbers. We get them all year round but they come in larger amounts and woodpeckers and robins really start to show up too!
- Canada Geese, Grebes, Pelicans, ducks and loons show up at all our local lakes along with their flocks of babies...a real delight to see out on the water and along the water's edge.
- A later sunset makes for warm beautiful sunshine into our kitchen while I cook dinner between 5:30 - 6:30pm. My indoor plants love it too.
- Outdoor fires in the garden. The evenings are still cool and an outdoor fire pit makes it so cozy sitting under our big pine trees with a blanket and drink and watching the night sky as the stars come out.
- Visiting plant and garden centers with my family. My mom and daughter love plants and flowers just as much as I do, so it's three generations enjoying the season's best! Plants give me nothing but absolute joy and happiness and now is the time to really take in the colours and variety!
- Seeing blossoms cascading down fences, trees full of lush green leaves, green fields and lawns and everything bright and alive with new growth!
- Spring colours of pastel pinks, purples, greens and blues.
- Wearing dresses, sandals, capri pants and blouses and leaving large bulky jackets and shoes at home.
A few photos of some of the local plant and garden centers, our blossom tree in the back garden, our front bed garden and steps and my mom and daughter enjoying the flowers with me!
It would be easy to fill up the entire post with photos of plants and flowers and the enjoyment it gives me! My dog Stewie and I enjoy longer walks when the grass dries out from the snow and turns green. We eat our lunch and enjoy afternoon sunshine and outdoor fires in the backyard from late April.
The local lakes see the return of pelicans, geese, ducks, grebes, loons and even musk rat. Little babies flock along the edges and paths and create a hive of activity and sounds on the banks and water. A truly delightful time!
I hope you've enjoyed a look at my spring favourites and that wherever you are, you have things to look forward to with each changing season. Get outside, take a walk and enjoy the fresh air.
Happiness and and sunshine to you until next time!